Iowa's new Social Studies Standards include Iowa history in grades K-12 for the first time in over a decade.
The Iowa Museum Association and partners developed Teaching Iowa History to provide Iowa history content and instructional resources to support Iowa's teachers in meeting the new standards.
Education is a core activity for all museums. To meet identified educator needs and bring museum's into a closer working relationship with educators, the Iowa Museum Association applied for and received a National Endowment for the Humanities "Creating Humanities Communities" matching grant in the amount of $60,000 to support Teaching Iowa History.
Teaching Iowa History:
- identifies Iowa historians - local, academic, subject matter experts, and more;
- curates a digital collection of Iowa history content and primary sources;
- creates instructional resources for K-12 teachers;
- offers professional development around teaching Iowa history with primary sources;
- tests and models both instructional resources and professional development.