A statewide project equipping K-12 educators to teach Iowa history using primary sources

Teaching Iowa History Logo

Home » Articles » Dexter Community Buildingaka Roundhouse

Dexter Community Building/AKA Roundhouse

The 1917 Dexter Community Building, also known as the Roundhouse, is constructed with 8-inch hollow blocks throughout. The roof is dome shaped, elliptical, and without a single support except at the walls with several steel girths.

It houses an auditorium with a stage, and was used for Lyceum courses, Chautauquas, moving pictures, plays, special church services, political gatherings, and basketball games. There was a seating capacity for about 1000. Bleachers flanked the stage on both sides for games, chairs and tables added for other activities.

National Register Reference #75000679.  Dexter Community House.  Listed 3 March 1975.
Photo Available in National Archives Catalog.