|Object Title|| |
|Catalog Number|| |
Iowa state capitol in Des Moines, Iowa by photographer Arthur Rothstein. Content can be used with the following standards: 8th grade SS-Gov. 8.25 Iowa Government in a lesson on Iowa's state capitol and government system. For any use other than instructional resources, please check with the organization that owns this item regarding copyright restrictions.
|Iowa History Eras|
Object is related to the following library resources, which can be found by searching the catalog number in the advanced search section: Catalog #: 2018.045.024- History of Township Government in Iowa 2018.045.025- Introduction to the History and Government of Iowa 2018.045.051- Des Moines, Together with the History of Polk County 2018.045.075- One Hundred Topics in Iowa History 2018.045.083- A History of the People of Iowa 2018.045.077- The Government of Iowa 2018.045.087- Iowa Through the Years 2018.045.098- Centennial History of Polk County, Iowa 2018.045.138- History of Iowa from the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century 2018.045.181- Uniquely Iowa 2018.045.209- Old Capitol: Portrait of an Iowa Landmark 2018.045.211- Governors of Iowa
In 1870, the plan for the construction of the new capitol in Des Moines was authorized under the Board of Commissioners created through an Iowa Legislature Act. The goal of the Board was to keep the project under the cost of $1.5 million. A final construction plan was chosen from architectures John Cochran and Alfred Piquenard, who had recently completed the building of the Ilnois Capitol Building. Construction began in 1871 with the help of Cochran's assistants, Mifflin Bell and William Hackney. After Cochran left the firm, Bell for Washington D.C. and Piquenard's death in 1876, the project continued solely under Hackney. The Capitol was completed in 1886 with a total cost of $2,873,294.59 - much higher than the intended cost. The cornerstone of the building reads "Iowa A.D. 1873" and is made notable with it's short, large dome (made of steel and stone, and covered in 23 karat gold) rather than the more common tall domes of the time. In 1902, the third Capitol Commission was appointed to finish the interior of the building including wiring electricity into the building and replacing the slate roof with a copper roof. In 1904, while putting electric lights in, a fire erupted after a worker left a candle burning. The fire resulted in water damage from fire hoses to the lower floors of the structure.
|Object Appx Date|| |