|Object Title|| |
|Catalog Number|| |
The Old Capitol, Iowa City, Iowa as it appeared on Alumni Day, June 13, 1911. For any use other than instructional resources, please check with the organization that owns this item regarding copyright restrictions.
|Iowa History Eras|
Iowa City was chosen as the capital of the Iowa Territory on May 4, 1839. The Old Capitol building was designed by architect John Francis Rague of Springfield, Illinois. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1840 and it was built over the next two years. On December 5, 1842, the Fifth Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Iowa convened in the building. It was the third capitol of the territory. In December 1846, Ansel Briggs, the first governor of Iowa, was inaugurated in Old Capitol. Iowa became a state on December 28, 1846. The capital was moved to Des Moines in December 1857.